Wait Staff qualifications to look for
The wait staff are the most customer-facing people in your restaurant. They take charge of educating customers about your menu, make sure their orders are well-handled, and give them everything they need from start to finish.
Though experience isn’t required for this position, it’s important to keep a critical eye out for candidates who are high on customer service and experience. Higher-end establishments may want a wait staff member with ample experience in the food and beverage industry, while other restaurants focus more on how quickly a candidate can learn and how personable they are with customers.
Keep an eye out for candidates who are:
- Fast learners
- Cool under pressure
- Customer-forward thinkers
- Able to follow safety procedures
Top tip: Hire candidates willing to grow by making sure their personal career goals align with your company's mission.
Wait Staff interview questions
- Tell me about one dining experience you really enjoyed. What made it enjoyable and what did you learn from it going into this line of work?
- What do you know about our establishment?
- What is your experience with customer service? How can your experience help you in this position?
- What are the considerations you make if someone has special dietary requirements?
- What experience do you have serving wine?
- Recall a time you handled a customer complaint. What happened and how was it resolved?
- What are some key steps you take to make sure your customers are satisfied?
- How do you handle big rushes? What do you do to stay busy when it’s slow?
- How do you stay organized while taking orders, especially when the restaurant is busy?
- How would you rate your upselling skills? Walk me through some ways to upsell during dinner.
- What would you do if a customer gave you a bad tip and then sat at your table for a long time?
- How do you ensure you follow food safety guidelines?
- Recall a time a team member wasn’t doing their share of the work. How did you help them step up to the plate?
- What are your feelings on tip sharing with other staff members?
Start optimizing your recruiting process today.
Join the thousands of companies already hiring with Breezy HR.Start Interviewing Now