High-quality candidates have an impressive portfolio which they can discuss in detail. They’ll be an influential team leader with great strategic-thinking and project-management skills, plus they have awesome interpersonal and communication skills as well as in-depth industry knowledge.
Top tip: Diversity is key for a thriving workplace. Keep an eye out for management and exec-level candidates from varying backgrounds and aim to eliminate bias from your hiring process.
Art Director interview questions
- Has your design direction ever helped solve a business problem?
- What do you plan to do in your first week to learn about our clients?
- Who are your favorite designers?
- What product would you like to design or redesign?
- Do you do any creative projects off-the-clock?
- How do you keep up-to-date with the latest creative trends and tech? How influenced are you by current trends?
- What tech do you use every day?
- What’s the most challenging design project you’ve ever worked on?
- Tell us about a time you turned a negative situation into a positive one?
- Have you ever trained or mentored colleagues?
- How do you update your colleagues and clients about a late deadline?
- What would you do if your most important client hated your work?
- Have you ever had to reduce the scope of a project because your team wasn't able to accomplish your original plan? What did you do?
- How do you keep your team motivated?
- Which of our clients are you most excited about working with?