Your zero-regret new hire will understand how to use CRMs (especially digital journos), publishing platforms and social media. They’ll be self-motivated, creative professionals with experience uncovering and pitching their own stories. Top candidates will know all about your org and who your target audience is.
- Assess their portfolio: Check out candidates’ portfolios to figure out whether their writing style will work for your company.
- Grow together: Hire candidates you can grow with by making sure their personal career goals align with your company's mission.
Journalist interview questions
- Describe a time you worked across disciplines to tell a story.
- What are the best and worst things about our publication?
- Which are your favorite books/articles/publications?
- Describe a time you found an awesome story and aced your pitch.
- What’s your career highlight so far?
- How do you manage tight deadlines?
- How do you ensure super accurate work?
- What’s the top publishing tech you’ve used?
- Which social media sites do you use the most?
- How would you rate your ability to use tech for storytelling? What are your strengths and weaknesses?
- Who are our competitors?
- Which of our staff writers do you rate and why?
- What current stories or trends are relevant to us?