Collection Specialist qualifications to look for
Collection Specialists take charge of accounts receivable, ensure payments are made on time, and routinely contact clients about debts.
Top candidates should be familiar with the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) and basic billing procedures. Relevant work experience takes the cake with this role, and a degree isn’t necessarily required.
Keep an eye out for candidates who have:
- Proactively identify overdue accounts
- A track record for reducing debts
- Solid stress management skills
Top tip: Hire candidates willing to grow by making sure their personal career goals align with your company's mission.
Problem-solving interview questions
- What are three of the most common excuses that debtors make? How would you respond to each of them?
- How would you handle a client who is rude when you call to update them on their collection status?
- How do you handle emotional and financial constraints when handling a debtor with six months of missed payments?
- Recommend a pay-back plan for a long-term client whose payments are due to be collected in a few months.
Role-specific interview questions
- What collection methods are you familiar with? What technique do you find most effective?
- What is your follow-up approach with delinquent account holders? How do you get in touch?
- What is your process for storing historical data for each account?
- Debtors are sensitive about their situations. What are three things you should avoid saying when speaking to them?
- What is your payment tracking system?
- What software do you use? How does it increase productivity?
Behavioral interview questions
- Why did you take an interest in this job?
- Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult client. How did you manage the situation?
- Describe a time you helped a client to come up with a plan to pay off a large debt. What was your process?
- Have you ever faced an ethical dilemma at work? If so, how did you handle the situation?
- If your negotiations with a creditor failed, how would you handle it?
Start optimizing your recruiting process today.
Join the thousands of companies already hiring with Breezy HR.Start Interviewing Now