Senior Auditor qualifications to look for
Senior Auditors take charge of the auditing process to ensure financial stability and compliance with the law. They perform control assessments, recommending ways to avert or predict risk.
Your best candidates for this senior level position will hold a degree in Accounting or Finance, along with proven experience in risk management. A professional certification (e.g. CPA or CMA) is a plus when screening candidates.
Your ideal hire will have theoretical knowledge of accounting procedures and regulations, plus plenty of hands-on experience with accounting software.
Keep an eye out for candidates who are:
- Team management rockstars
- Passionate about performance
- Always learning developments in their industry
Top tip: Hire candidates willing to grow by making sure their personal career goals align with your company's mission.
Problem-solving interview questions
- How would you train your team members to work using your proven methods?
- You discovered a process in our company is not as cost-effective. How would you present your findings to senior executives?
- A high-performer on your team started delivering reports with errors. How do you resolve the issue?
- How do you handle a client/manager who asked you to cover up fraud?
Role-specific interview questions
- Tell me about a control management process you use to minimize risks.
- What audit software or Computer Assisted Audit Techniques (CAATs?) have you used? How have they helped you?
- How do you check your team’s work for accuracy?
- Do you perform periodical internal audits? How do they add value to a company?
- What’s your experience with accounting software?
- Walk me through your fraud detection process.
Behavioral interview questions
- Have you ever made a mistake in the auditing process? If so, what was it and what did you do to resolve the problem?
- What have you suggested to improve the audit process? Was it implemented?
- Has your attention to detail helped you detect a potential law violation? If so, tell me about it.
- How do you keep up with changes in accounting regulations? What publications do you read?