Event Planner qualifications to look for
An event planner coordinates all of the moving parts for an event, and ensures everything runs smoothing while the event is being hosted. They handle everything involved including choosing locations, hiring caterers, entertainment, and other vendors. They can also arrange lodging and transportation for attendees.
Event planners need no formal education, and experience is your best ally when sourcing these candidates.
Keep an eye out for candidates who have:
- Knowledge of logistics
- Vendor management skills
- An eye for smart budgeting
- Experience with different sizes of events
Top tip: Diversity is key to a thriving workplace. Keep an eye out for candidates from varying backgrounds and aim to eliminate bias from your hiring process.
Role-specific interview questions
- What do you know about event technology? Do you have any that you prefer?
- How many events do you plan per year? How do you manage your calendar?
- What types of events do you usually plan? Do you have a preferred type?
- What do you take into consideration before you start planning an event?
- Explain DMS (Delegate Management System). What is DDR etc.?
- How do you assess the success of each of your events? How do you follow up with clients to ensure they were satisfied with your services?
- What do you like most about your job? What are some of your biggest challenges?
- How do you convince a client to upgrade their event?
- What are some of the popular venues you recommend?
- How do you stay current with the event industry?
Problem-solving interview questions
- Have you ever had to plan more than one event simultaneously? How do you manage your time and energy?
- What information do you request during the interview process with a potential client?
- What do you consider when choosing the location/venue for an event? What are your priorities after choosing a location/venue?
- How do you choose vendors when organizing an event? What are your criteria to assess their eligibility/quality?
- What role does social media play in your event planning?
- Have you ever gone over budget? What was the situation?
- How would you manage stress as the date of an event draws near? What do you do to stay calm?
- Describe an event management experience that didn’t go so well. What happened and what did you learn?
- What sort of creative solutions have you provided to a problem? What was the result?
- Have you ever faced a technical problem during an event? What are the most common/serious problems you have encountered during an event and what did you do about them?
- Describe your most successful event planning experience. What happened and why was it a success?