Marketing Director interview questions
Your dream candidate has solid project management experience and knowledge of paid advertising campaigns, promotional events hosting and, of course, industry trends. They’re innovative strategic-thinkers who always have ultimate business goals in mind.
- Set an assignment: To find your perfect candidate, test candidate digital tools knowledge (think: Google Analytics and CRMs).
- Think diversity: Diversity is key for a thriving workplace. Keep an eye out for management and exec-level candidates from varying backgrounds and aim to eliminate bias from your hiring process.
Role-specific interview questions
- Who are our biggest competitors?
- Who is our audience and how would you increase our customer base?
- What’s your favorite marketing tech?
- Which SEO practices are best to optimize online content?
- What are your top metrics to count? How and when do you share results with your team?
- How do you evaluate team performance?
- How do you prepare your department’s budget?
Behavioral interview questions
- Describe a cross-team project you’ve worked on. How did you delegate and get it done to a high-quality on time.
- Describe a Google AdWord campaign you worked on. What were the results?
- How do you deal with inter-team conflicts?
- How do you keep up-to-date with current marketing tech and trends?
- Have any of your marketing campaigns failed? What would you do differently?
Problem solving interview questions
- How would you choose who to invite to a product launch?
- How would you train an entry-level marketer?Which products/events would you use mobile marketing campaigns for?
- Would you drop social media if it didn’t bring in new customers?
- Which metrics would you use to measure newsletter success?
- How would you coordinate a promotional stand at a conference which takes place in one week?