High-quality candidates will be experienced, qualified (think BS in marketing), analytical and creative. They’ll be passionate about working for your company and will have a great understanding of your brand and target market. They’ll also show strong teamwork, commercial acumen, communication and presentation skills.
- Set an assignment: Ask your candidate to complete a short math test that relates to the day-to-day decisions they’ll make. For example the item quantities to order, item pricing, promotion etc.
- Grow together: Hire candidates you can grow with by making sure their personal career goals align with your company's mission.
Merchandiser interview questions
- What’s been your career highlight so far and why?
- What does a day in the life of a Merchandiser look like?
- What’s the most important part of a Merchandiser’s role?
- What makes you decide to buy a product?
- Who are our customers?
- How do we stand out (or not) from our competitors?
- How do you prioritize your tasks?
- Describe your experience reading planograms.
- Describe a top-selling product at your last company. How many and what types/sizes would you order? Which had the highest consumption rate?
- Why would a competitor selling the same item at the same price be more successful than us? What factors could be involved?
- What would you do if you caught a coworker stealing?
- Have you ever had to deal with an angry store manager? What did you do?
- Have you ever had to work with a difficult coworker? How did you handle it?