Procurement Manager interview questions
High-quality Procurement Manager candidates are experienced and qualified (think: finance or economics) and are aces at collecting data, comparing prices and performing market analysis. They are able to make decisions fast and can ‘read’ the market to make cost-reducing suggestions.
Top tip: Diversity is key for a thriving workplace. Keep an eye out for management and exec-level candidates from varying backgrounds and aim to eliminate bias from your hiring process.
Role-specific interview questions
- Describe the purchasing process step-by-step.
- What are the most crucial criteria to consider when choosing suppliers?
- What is risk management?
- Are you familiar with warehouse safety regulations?
- What is a Qualified Products List (QPL)?
- Which are the key procurement metrics?
- How do you keep supplies records?
Behavioral interview questions
- Have you ever dealt with an underperforming buyer? What happened?
- Describe a situation where you achieved an awesome discount.
- How do you resolve supplier disagreements?
- Have you ever cancelled a vendor contract? What happened?
- How do you grow an A+ network of industry pros?
Problem solving interview questions
- What suppliers and third-party management tech do you have experience with?
- What tools do you use to perform market analysis?
- Why would you look for a new supplier?
- How do you make sure deliveries arrive on time?
- How would you deal with a late delivery?
- What would you do if a department wanted to order equipment over-budget?
- How do you evaluate product quality? What would you do if you received a defective product?