Safety Officer interview questions
Your zero-regret new hire is qualified (think: degree in safety management) and knows their stuff when it comes to industry-specific legislation. They have awesome attention to detail and a strong commitment to OSH rules, plus they’re confident with incredible communication skills.
Top tip: Hire candidates you can grow with by making sure their personal career goals align with your company's mission.
Role-specific interview questions
- How do you compute noise exposure?
- What is your reporting experience?
- What is your health and safety training experience?
- How do you keep up-to-date with current regulations?
- What is [industry-specific example] and what dangers does it involve?
- What are some scaffolding safety precautions?
- What do you know about EPA guidelines in [specific industry]?
- What would your key priorities be in your first week?
Behavioral interview questions
- Tell us about a time you made a mistake that led to an injury. What happened?
- Have you ever dealt with employees who repeatedly ignored your safety instructions? What happened?
- Have you ever had to stop a process because it was too dangerous?
- What’s the most dangerous violation you’ve ever encountered?
Problem solving interview questions
- How would you conduct a workplace safety audit?
- If a manager opposed your suggestion for workplace safety improvements, how would you approach them?
- How does the job safety analysis (JSA) process work?
- How would you implement a Hazard Communication Program?
- What would you do if you saw some employees weren’t using PPE?