Truck Driver interview questions
Your zero-regret new hire has a clean commercial driver’s license (CDL) and driving record with tons of driving experience. They have awesome knowledge of large vehicle maintenance, traffic regulations and a good sense of orientation. Plus they’re health and safety conscious and have great time-keeping skills.
- Look for the right papers: Remember, if you want to hire someone with their own truck, make sure their license and insurance is up to date.
- Test their skills: Make sure their skills are up to scratch by going on a test drive with your candidate. Ask them to use GPS or plan a route on a map to see how they prepare trips.
- Do a background check: Ask permission for a background check and drug test and remember, law states people with certain health conditions are prohibited from driving large or heavy vehicles.
- Grow together: Hire candidates you can grow with by making sure their personal career goals align with your company's mission.
Role-specific interview questions
- What’s your pro delivery driver experience?
- What states/counties have you been to in your job?
- How do you stay alert on long trips?
- How do you feel about a slip-seating setup?
- How do you meet deadlines every time?
- What are the most important papers/logs to keep? How do you keep them accurate?
- How important is safety to you?
Problem solving interview questions
- What would you do if you were involved in an accident that wasn’t your fault?
- How would you handle an angry client if you were late with their delivery?
- If you were running late, how would you make sure your customer service is still the best without compromising safety?
- Describe how you would do basic truck maintenance.
- Describe a time you received incorrect info from a dispatcher or other colleague.
- How did you ensure top quality relationships with clients in your last role?