Firefighter interview questions
Your high-potential new firefighter is brave, compassionate and reliable with quick-thinking and super-fast reflexes. They’ve been trained and will be willing to develop their skills further, plus they’re motivated, patient and great at solving problems.
- Look for qualifications: It’s likely your candidates will have been trained at a college, school, academy or from a previous fire department. Look for CPR or EMT training certificates.
- Grow together: Hire candidates you can grow with by making sure their personal career goals align with your company's mission.
Role-specific interview questions
- Why did you choose to become a firefighter?
- What can a firefighter do for fire prevention?
- What’s a firefighter’s most important duty?
- What is the most hard-to-use firefighting equipment?
- What are the main challenges fire departments deal with?
Behavioral interview questions
- Tell us about a time you dealt with an emergency.
- Describe a time you used rescue equipment incorrectly. What should you have done differently?
- Have you ever had a conflict with a coworker? What happened?
Problem solving interview questions
- How would you care for an unconscious person?
- How would you balance two different orders from senior firefighters at the same time?
- What would you do with a panicking resident who wants to reenter a burning building?
- What would you do if you noticed a fellow firefighter stealing?
- What would you do if you were ordered to do something you felt was dangerous?
Start optimizing your recruiting process today.
Join the thousands of companies already hiring with Breezy HR.Start Interviewing Now