Debt Collector Interview Questions
Your future team-player is cool-headed, patient and polite with awesome negotiation and critical-thinking skills. They’ll also be tech-savvy with knowledge of debt collection best practices and regulations.
- Look for skills over experience: Debt collectors don’t need any qualifications but they do need the right skills for the job.
- Look for spontaneity: Ask your candidates how they’d respond to different scenarios to see how well they can think on their feet.
- Grow together: Hire candidates you can grow with by making sure their personal career goals align with your company's mission.
Role-specific interview questions
- What drew you to apply for this role?
- What are the top three things you should avoid when speaking to a debtor?
- How do you keep track of outstanding payments?
- How do you feel about working with targets?
- What are your top collection methods?
- How familiar are you with FDCPA/HIPAA/etc. dictations?
Behavioral interview questions
- What situations have made you feel good about your role?
- Have you ever had difficulties negotiating with a debtor/customer? What happened?
- Tell me about a time you dealt with an angry customer. What did you do?
- Describe a time your job made you feel stressed. What did you do?
Problem solving interview questions
- How do you get the necessary info from someone who wants to hang up the phone?
- How do you skip trace? How do you make sure your procedure’s legit?
- How would you handle an emotional phone call with a longstanding debtor?
- When would you decide to take legal action?
- How would you respond to an angry customer who curses at you?
- Describe a few common excuses that debtors make. How would you respond to each of them?