Debt Collector Interview Questions
Your future team-player is cool-headed, patient and polite with awesome negotiation and critical-thinking skills. They’ll also be tech-savvy with knowledge of debt collection best practices and regulations.
- Look for skills over experience: Debt collectors don’t need any qualifications but they do need the right skills for the job.
- Look for spontaneity: Ask your candidates how they’d respond to different scenarios to see how well they can think on their feet.
- Grow together: Hire candidates you can grow with by making sure their personal career goals align with your company's mission.
Role-specific interview questions
- What drew you to apply for this role?
- What are the top three things you should avoid when speaking to a debtor?
- How do you keep track of outstanding payments?
- How do you feel about working with targets?
- What are your top collection methods?
- How familiar are you with FDCPA/HIPAA/etc. dictations?
Behavioral interview questions
- What situations have made you feel good about your role?
- Have you ever had difficulties negotiating with a debtor/customer? What happened?
- Tell me about a time you dealt with an angry customer. What did you do?
- Describe a time your job made you feel stressed. What did you do?
Problem solving interview questions
- How do you get the necessary info from someone who wants to hang up the phone?
- How do you skip trace? How do you make sure your procedure’s legit?
- How would you handle an emotional phone call with a longstanding debtor?
- When would you decide to take legal action?
- How would you respond to an angry customer who curses at you?
- Describe a few common excuses that debtors make. How would you respond to each of them?
Start optimizing your recruiting process today.
Join the thousands of companies already hiring with Breezy HR.Start Interviewing Now