Purchasing Manager interview questions
High-quality Purchasing Managers are experienced, qualified critical-thinkers with technical knowledge and an awesome approach to purchasing strategies. They’ll be great negotiators with top leadership skills and an understanding of cost-saving tactics and quality standards.
Top tip: Diversity is key for a thriving workplace. Keep an eye out for management and exec-level candidates from varying backgrounds and aim to eliminate bias from your hiring process.
Role-specific interview questions
- What is your contract management experience?
- What would you ask for when getting supplier references?
- Are you familiar with UCC (Uniform Commercial Code)?
- Describe an awesome purchasing process.
- How do you evaluate a supplier?
- What is a QPL (Qualified Products List)?
- How do you find new suppliers?
- What is your supervisory experience?
- Have you used any vendor management tech?
- How would you process a purchase requisition?
Behavioral interview questions
- Tell us about a time you successfully gained a significant discount.
- Tell me about a time you successfully led a buyer team.
- Have you ever had to cancel a supplier contract? What happened?
- Describe a time you disagreed with a supplier. How did you resolve it?
- What's the most unsuccessful purchase you’ve ever made? What did you learn?
Problem solving interview questions
- How do you ensure important orders aren’t delayed?
- What would you do if you received a batch of products that didn’t meet specifications?
- How would you go about achieving cost savings in a limited time?
- What would you do if a department asked for equipment that would send you over-budget?
- How would you deal with a consistently underperforming buyer or purchasing agent?