Field Service Technician interview questions
Your zero-regret new hire is a problem-solver who can explain hard-to-understand details to tech newbies. Look for responsible, independent, flexible workers who don’t mind working solo.
- Test their knowledge: Ask candidates to describe how they’d troubleshoot a common problem. If they can come up with a solution quickly, they’re probably a good candidate.
- Dig deep: Use situational questions to test how your candidates approach ambiguous issues and identify customer needs.
- Grow together: Hire candidates you can grow with by making sure their personal career goals align with your company's mission.
Problem solving interview questions
- What do you think are our most common customer queries?
- What tech or systems do you use to record/organize/file your work?
- If a customer problem takes longer than expected and you’re late for your next appointment, what do you do?
- How do you prepare for an on-site client meeting? What equipment do you take?
- What do you do if you can’t solve a problem in the usual ways?
- What questions would you ask a customer with a broken printer, if the display just says ‘Error’?
Role-specific interview questions
- What does awesome after-sales support mean to you?
- Do you have a valid driver’s licence?
- How would you update a computer operating system?
- How do you install antivirus software?
- How do you access Windows Recovery Control?
- How do you increase a laptop’s battery life?
Behavioral interview questions
- How do you keep up-to-date with the latest tech trends?
- What’s your area of expertise? What would you like to learn more about?
- How have you handled angry customers in the past? What happened?
- Describe your biggest challenge so far. What happened and how did you handle it?