HR Director interview questions
Your future high-performer will be policy-driven with a strategic mindset and several years’ experience. They will be great leaders and have awesome decision-making and critical thinking abilities.
- Look for experience: Your candidate should be able to tell you how they developed complex HR strategies and programs, plus have thorough knowledge of employment laws and corporate ethics.
- Think diversity: Diversity is key for a thriving workplace. Keep an eye out for management and exec-level candidates from varying backgrounds and aim to eliminate bias from your hiring process.
Problem solving interview questions
- What are the key KPI’s you use to measure HR function effectiveness?
- What are the top three elements of an HR Director and why?
- What’s your HR software experience?
- What do you know about EEO laws/FMLA/etc.?
- How do HR needs influence strategic planning?
- How do you ensure the HR department’s objectives line up with strategic goals?
- What does company culture mean to you? How would you ensure awesome company culture no matter the size?
- How does HR influence company culture?
- How would you ensure organizational diversity?
- How do you keep up-to-date with current employment laws?
- How do you assist other departments to improve their people practices and policies?
- What would you do to solve an issue that had no company guidelines?
- If one of your employees made a serious mistake, what would you do?
- What would you do if a stakeholder asked you to implement a policy you didn’t agree with?
Behavioral interview questions
- Describe a time you developed an awesome new policy. What happened?
- Describe a time when you implemented an initiative that didn’t work. In hindsight, what would you change?
- Tell us about a time successfully created positive change.
- Describe a time a manager came to you with a problem they couldn’t solve. What happened?
- Describe a time you predicted an issue with an employee.
- How did you shape company culture in your past role?
- What was your most important contribution in your last role?
- Describe a situation where you experienced serious obstacles in your job. What happened?
- Have you ever had to disagree with your superiors? What happened?