Legal Assistant interview questions
Your next team player has awesome office admin abilities, great communication skills and a honed attention to detail. They have in-depth knowledge of legal office procedures, terminology and protocols and a solid knowledge of research methods, the court system and management software.
- Look for experience over qualifications: A degree in law isn’t necessary, vocational legal studies training or a couple years’ experience works too.
- Grow together: Hire candidates you can grow with by making sure their personal career goals align with your company's mission.
Problem solving interview questions
- How would you prioritize tasks from multiple lawyers?
- How would you conduct research for a case? How would you prepare and what methodology would you follow?
Role-specific interview questions
- How fast can you type?
- What is your billing experience?
- What’s your favorite organizational software?
- How would you rate your phone skills?
- Do you have case management software experience (ie. HoudiniESQ)?
- How would you rate your minute-taking skills?
- What’s your experience drafting depositions/summonses/subpoenas etc?
- Do you know what a demurrer is?
- How would you prepare a case file?
- What legal field are you most interested in?
- What motivates you to excel at work?
- How do you cope in stressful situations?
Behavioral interview questions
- Have you ever implemented a new system to improve office efficiency?
- Describe a time you’ve worked in a team to finish a project on a tight deadline?
- How would you protect confidential info?
- Have you ever dealt with a demanding client?
- Describe a time you had to communicate with a client or legal representative on behalf of your senior.
- Have you ever explained a complicated legal concept or procedure to a client?
- Has your awesome attention to detail ever prevented a serious mistake?