Makeup Artist interview questions
Your ideal candidate will have different skills depending on the industry (think: prosthetics experience for the film industry or fashion trend knowledge for a salon). Whatever the industry, they’ll be experienced, creative and passionate with great interpersonal skills and health-and-safety knowledge. They’ll present themselves like a pro and will have in-depth knowledge about your company and products.
- Check out their portfolio: Look for candidates who can demonstrate their expertise with an awesome varied portfolio.
- Grow together: Hire candidates you can grow with by making sure their personal career goals align with your company's mission.
Role-specific interview questions
- What’s your sales experience?
- What inspires you about your work?
- Tell me about your top two season makeup trends.
- How would you rate your color wheel/ skin tone knowledge?
- What are your favorite cosmetic products for personal use?
- When and how do you clean your tools?
- Do you have FX prosthetics experience?
Behavioral interview questions
- Tell us about a time you advised a customer how to take care of their makeup.
- How do you handle stress at work?
- Have you ever dealt with a frustrated customer who hated the hair/ makeup services you provided? What happened?
- Have you ever had a conflict with a coworker/supervisor? How did you resolve it?
Problem solving interview questions
- How do you prepare different skin types before applying makeup?
- How would you help a customer find the most suitable foundation tone for their skin?
- How would you choose makeup according to lighting?
- If a customer asked you for a makeup style that just wouldn’t work, what would you say?
- What’s your favorite cosmetic product? Sell it to me.
- What is the effect of analogous/complimentary makeup colors?
- What would you do if you made a mistake applying a customer's makeup?