Payroll Specialist interview questions
Your ideal candidate is awesome with numbers, has strong attention to detail and pro organizational skills. They’re also great communicators, have calm personalities and a commitment to confidentiality.
Top tip: Hire candidates you can grow with by making sure their personal career goals align with your company's mission.
Problem solving interview questions
- How do you make sure attendance records are reported on time?
- How would you handle two face-to-face client complaints at the same time?
- What would you do if an employee claimed they received less money than agreed?
- If hired, what would you do in your first week?
- What would you do if an employee pressed you to know a coworker’s salary?
Role-specific interview questions
- What reports should a payroll specialist prepare?
- How much do you know about FLSA?
- How do you keep up-to-date with IRS regulation changes?
- What’s included in local taxes withholdings?
- What payroll source docs do you need?
- What’s your union contracts experience?
- What payroll tech have you used?
- How do you keep focused when entering a ton of data?
Behavioral interview questions
- Tell us about a time you improved a payroll process.
- Have you ever worked with a difficult colleague? What happened?
- Tell me about a time you got stressed at work. What did you do?
- Have you ever not provided excellent customer service? What would you do differently?
- Tell us about a time you delivered negative news to a client. What happened?