Program Manager interview questions
Your high-potential Program Manager candidate will be a natural problem-solver with a deep understanding of change management, ROI, defining objectives, and resource allocation.
- Decide if you want qualifications: Program Managers don’t need a degree, but they do need experience. Depending on the role you might want to look for a tech expert, or a qualification in a specific area relevant for the role.
- Look for experience: Learn as much as possible about the candidate’s past experience, especially when it comes to the programs/projects they’ve managed.
- Think diversity: Diversity is key for a thriving workplace. Keep an eye out for management and exec-level candidates from varying backgrounds and aim to eliminate bias from your hiring process.
Problem solving interview questions
- How do you prioritize different projects?
- If your program had a 6-month deadline, how would you plan and deliver it?
- Why do projects fail?
- How would you handle a change in the company’s strategy halfway through a project/program?
Role-specific interview questions
- What does a program manager do that project managers don’t?
- Why is change management important for this role?
- What’s your favorite program management tech?
- Which metrics do you use the most?
- What’s your program charters experience?
- Are you familiar with the PMI code of ethics?
- Why do you use six sigma?
- How do you avoid scope creep?
- How do you keep up-to-date with industry trends?
Behavioral interview questions
- What was your most recent program and how did you contribute?
- Describe your biggest challenge while managing a team.
- How do you measure the success of deliverables?
- Describe how you planned and managed a budget in a past program.
- Have you ever dealt with a program that fell behind schedule?
- Have you ever faced a comms problem while managing a program? What happened?
- What was the most challenging sponsor/stakeholder negotiation you’ve dealt with? What did you do?
Start optimizing your recruiting process today.
Join the thousands of companies already hiring with Breezy HR.Start Interviewing Now