Help Desk Specialist interview questions
Your high-potential candidate will be ready for your questions and will have awesome troubleshooting skills. They’ll be experienced with tech tools, ticketing systems and databases. They may even have IT qualifications, but this role is about more than tech know-how. Characteristics at the top of your list should include clear communication, problem-solving and a genuine desire to deliver great customer service.
Top tip: Hire candidates you can grow with by making sure their personal career goals align with your company's mission.
Problem solving interview questions
- What’s your favorite operating system and why?
- What help desk tools have you used in the past?
- What logging and call-dating tools have you used?
- How do you stay up-to-date with the latest product/service trends?
- How would you troubleshoot a blacked-out monitor?
- What would you do if a caller destroyed a product and asked your company to fix or replace it?
- Describe a time a caller asked for a refund.
- Walk us through the steps of adding a new printer to a user’s network.
- How do you install antivirus software?
- What’s been your worst customer experience?
- How have you handled angry customers in the past?
- Describe a time you and a team member solved a help desk call.
- What would you do if you couldn’t answer a help desk call?
- Have you used our product/service? Is there anything you’d change?