Food and Beverage Manager qualifications to look for
A Food and Beverage Manager specializes in forecasting, planning and controlling the ordering of food and beverages for a hospitality establishment like a bar, restaurant, or hotel. They manage the finances related to purchasing food and beverages, which includes sourcing, ordering and transporting.
Keep an eye out for candidates who have:
- Strong leadership skills
- Customer-service mindset
- Excellent attention to detail
- The ability to work under pressure
- Drive to increase sales and meet goals
Top tip: Diversity is key to a thriving workplace. Keep an eye out for management and exec-level candidates from varying backgrounds and aim to eliminate bias from your hiring process.
Behavioral interview questions
- Have you ever participated in the opening of a new restaurant? What was your role and how long did it take?
- Have you designed a menu that generated a lot of positive feedback? If so, describe it to me.
- Describe a situation where you had to deal with a restaurant emergency. How did you handle it and what was the outcome?
- How do you handle employee terminations?
- Recall a time a customer was dissatisfied with your restaurant’s service. How did you handle their complaints? What did you offer them? Do you recall if they came back?
Problem-solving interview questions
- What do you know about our establishment? What do you like about it and what would you change?
- How would you design a new menu for us?
- What are the signatures of high-quality food service?
- What innovations would you bring forward to make our customer’s dining experience even better?
- What cost-reducing methods have you found effective in the past?
- Walk me through standard health and safety regulations. How often do you inspect their implementation?
- How do you support customers with specific dietary needs?
- How do you balance cost and quality when sourcing ingredients?
- What qualifications do you look for in new team members?
- What methods do you find effective for performance appraisal methods?
- How do you train your team? What are your mentorship guidelines?